Re: [opensuse] Creating the distro USB stick with a simple 'cp'

Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

El 2013-08-07 a las 08:13 -0400, Greg Freemyer escribió:
"Carlos E. R." <> wrote:

The well known/tested restore command is

cat image.* > /dev/sdx

Yes... I forgot I had used that, time ago.

At least to me that is more natural than cp. I suggest you put cat
on the wiki, but not cp.

Or both :-)

What I wonder is why only dd is in the current instructions.

Because 'dd' is the tool typically used for that sort of thing. 'cp'
and 'cat' in that context are at least a bit unusual. Besides, there
isn't really much gained by adding two alternatives ....

I argue cat can concatenate files if needed so it offers a unique feature.

Maintaining large media images in segmented files offers storage (and other)
flexibility and is what I routinely do, so cat is my solution of choice.

Thumb drives are growing and so are susestudio download images. A recent one I
built was 16gb. (I hope something went wrong, but that's what it said.)

Fyi:one reason I like more manageable file sizes is I tend to verify their md5
hash every time I copy them. Even with disk to disk copying errors can be
introduced on occasion. Re- copying a 2gb file is easier than a 640gb file.
(I am a currently working with a set of 7 640gb media images).

Greg