Re: [opensuse] Troubles with Nvidia
Hello,

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013, Vojtech Zeisek wrote:
Dne St 7. srpna 2013 20:15:06, Werner Flamme napsal(a):
[07.08.2013 19:03] [Vojtech Zeisek]:
[..]
# nvidia-modprobe
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/3.7.10-1.16-desktop/weak-
updates/updates/nvidia.ko): No such device
# find /lib -name nvidia.ko -print
/lib/modules/3.7.10-1.16-desktop/weak-updates/updates/nvidia.ko
/lib/modules/3.7.10-1.1-desktop/updates/nvidia.ko
WTF? Should I blacklist the nouveau driver to force loading of nvidia?

Yes. And you may also have to adjust the INITRD_MODULES="..." variable
in /etc/sysconfig/kernel (remove nouvau if it's in there, add nvidia).
Then run mkinitrd.

I'm not sure about that 'weak_updates' stuff, IIRC

/lib/modules/3.7.10-1.16-desktop/weak-updates/updates/nvidia.ko

should be a symlink to

/lib/modules/3.7.10-1.1-desktop/updates/nvidia.ko

# lsmod | grep nou
nouveau 993062 1
ttm 91975 1 nouveau
drm_kms_helper 50840 2 nouveau,i915
drm 293115 6 nouveau,ttm,i915,drm_kms_helper
mxm_wmi 13022 1 nouveau
wmi 19071 3 nouveau,hp_wmi,mxm_wmi
i2c_algo_bit 13414 2 nouveau,i915
video 19401 2 nouveau,i915
button 13953 2 nouveau,i915
# lsmod | grep nv
<empty>

This is probably due to nouveau being in the initrd and being loaded
from there during boot (c.f. "modeset" / KMS). Adding "nomodeset" to
as kernel-parameter might help too.

What is the DRM?

A Direct Rendering Method/Model (?) used by X / the Kernel to access
the hardware, c.f. also DRI and KMS, en.wikipedia.org should have
entries to all those acronyms (just make sure with "DRM" to not
confuse that with the digital restrictions management).

BTW:

a) there's sax3 in the repos, no idea how that works though (see
before sig)

b) you can have Xorg generate a "complete" xorg.conf as "autodetected"
by running 'X -configure' and use that as a starting point for
tweaking. You should move xorg.conf.d though in that case (e.g.
move it to xorg.conf.d.SUSE) and use the "complete" generated and
tweaked /etc/X11/xorg.conf from then on.

==== man Xorg ====
-configure
When this option is specified, the Xorg server loads all video
driver modules, probes for available hardware, and writes out
an initial xorg.conf(5) file based on what was detected. This
option currently has some problems on some platforms, but in
most cases it is a good way to bootstrap the configuration
process. This option is only available when the server is run
as root (i.e, with real-uid 0).
====

IIRC it prints the generated config on stdout and does not
overwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but better check that resp. save a
xorg.conf if you have one.

HTH,
-dnh, whose xorg.conf is largely the same as the XF86Config that I
used since ~1999 starting with SuSE 6.2 / XFree 3.3.6 ;)
Twice I tweaked the Monitor section, a couple of times the Device
section, and a few times the input sections.

--
"If Pacman had affected us as kids we'd be running around in dark rooms,
munching pills and listening to repetitive music." -- Marcus Brigstocke