Re: [opensuse] Problem: "Message blocked due to spam content in email."
On Thu, 01 Aug 2013 22:43:46 -0400
Mark Misulich wrote:

On Thu, 2013-08-01 at 22:34 -0400, Carl Hartung wrote:
On Thu, 01 Aug 2013 22:03:35 -0400
Mark Misulich wrote:

Anyone have an idea about what is going on and how to fix this
problem?

Hi Mark,

When you write "blocked" do you mean the outgoing mail server you're
connecting to refuses to accept the e-mails, causing them to get
stuck in your outbox? Or, are these e-mails being returned as
"undeliverable" after being accepted by your outgoing mail server,
i.e. they're being "bounced" by the recipient's incoming mail
server?

If it's the latter, I'd be happy to inspect the headers from one of
the bounced e-mails for you. Feel free to send one to me as an
attachment off-list.

regards,

Carl

Hi Carl,
the messages are sent out from two different computers that I use with
the same results. After sending them, some, but not all of the
messages are returned to me as being blocked for the reason I posted.
I will send you a couple emails for you to look over.

Hi Mark,

You have two problems, neither of which is related to your graphics
library (blacklisting driver modules is not at all related to e-mail
blacklists.)

"Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 Message blocked due to spam content
in the message"

This typically cryptic error message is a bit misleading. Your e-mail
is being rejected by some number of mail servers because your system's
present IP address (presumably dynamically assigned by your ISP) *and*
the domain in the 'From:' e-mail address are on one or more SBLs (spam
block lists.) The rejected e-mails that you sent me the headers for
weren't actually evaluated by a spam filter for 'spammy' content.
Instead, the receiving server discovered the source IP or domain was
actively listed in an SBL and it simply refused to accept the mail.

The easiest way to rectify this problem is to contact your ISP *and*
the mail systems administrator who handles your 'From:' address domain.
Forward the headers for them to inspect, just like you sent them to me.
Don't be surprised if they interrogate you a bit about your mailing
habits, use of mailing lists, frequency and volumes (if you're using
mailing lists, are you rate limiting properly?)

hth & regards,

Carl