Re: [opensuse] 64 bit vs 32 bit RAM consumption
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 12:32:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Wednesday, 2013-07-31 at 14:29 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Doesn't code use short or relative pointers?

No, not compiler generated code.

Curious. But is possible to use them, in assembler? Then it would be just the choice of compiler design.

I don't know in Linux, but in MsDos you could choose the model of your
code,

Linux uses the flat memory model:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_memory_model

Interesting. I have not done development in Linux, so I lost track of this. So it is not possible to choose the model per application.

and there were several possibilities of code size, data size,
etc. Pointers could be absolute or relative. The segment register
could be fixed and play with normal registers only (in theory the

DOS ran in real mode, Linux runs in protected mode. In protected mode,
you have access to the full 32bit address space, and the segment
registers are more or less disabled, except FS and GS.

32 bit, not 64 bit? :-?

I learned assembler with the 68000, the segment registers of the 8086 was something that I only used briefly.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.