Re: [opensuse] 12.3 (64bit) Hibernate problem
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 12:04:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Tuesday, 2013-07-30 at 14:55 -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:

It is required a minimum amount of swap or just "some swap" in order to
hibernate works?

The exact amount is "enough swap" ;-)

I don't know the precise answer, but at a minimum swap has to be 1x
the size of ram. (Or maybe hibernation compresses the data it is
writing to swap?)

Yes, there is compression if enabled.

If you're actually using swap just prior to hibernation, then it has
to be ram + swap in use.

Correct.

My general rule for laptop's is 1.5x ram and it has been working for me.

I use any value from 1.1*RAM to 12*RAM, because it depends on how much swap is in use already, the size of RAM, and how much of that is in use (cache and buffers are not swapped).

By the way, the rule of 2*RAM, is a Windows 3.x rule, because that was the maximum amount it could assign. Linux has no such limits. I have machines that use 1GB of swap with 32MB of RAM - and I have seen a lot of it in use. Of course, the machine crawls in that circumstance, but it works.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.