Re: [opensuse] 12.3 (64bit) Hibernate problem
Il 01/08/2013 00:06, Carl Hartung ha scritto:
On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 23:31:50 -0300
Marco Calistri wrote:

Carl,

May be you have convinced me. :-)

I don't understand why you needed to reinstall grub2 though.

I will try it booting with gparted DVD and I will consider to multiply
RAM per 1.5 factor then set swap to 6.144G

Cheers,

I won't take the credit for this, Marco. Thanks anyway, and good
luck! :-)

I read somewhere while researching this exercise that reinstalling grub2
might be necessary after resizing and moving '/' (sda2 in this case) so
that's what I did. YMMV, of course.

regards,

Carl

Ok Carl,

Good news!: I increased swap from 3 to 6G and now hibernate works but it
takes several minutes to take effect; dunno if it can be adjusted by
proper settings in /etc/suspend.conf.

I also think that due the fact I installed not standard plymouth splash
I had to disable it in /etc/suspend.conf.

Now I see S2disk Snapshotting system when hibernate starts then system
shutdown; when I click on power button system reboot once again I see
S2disk Snapshotting on the screen it takes again several minutes without
any signals of life, then finally system restart exactly from the point
I left.

This is my current /etc/suspend.conf setting, probably by adjusting this
file I can gain more speed for hibernate process:

marco@linux-turion64:~> cat /etc/suspend.conf
#############################################################################
##
## note:
## using pm-utils or powersaved, this file (/etc/suspend.conf) only
serves as
## a template, image_size and resume_device are filled in dynamically
## and the generated /var/lib/s2disk.conf is used to suspend.
## _If_ you enter stuff here, it will be copied to that file unchanged,
## but this might skip some features and sanity checks.
##
#############################################################################
##
## your snapshot device. You should not need to change this.
# snapshot device = /dev/snapshot
#
## enter your swap device here. Read the warning on pm-utils above, please!
#resume device = <path_to_resume_device_file>
#
## image size will also be filled in by pm-utils
#image size = 350000000
#
#suspend loglevel = 2
#max loglevel =
#
## compute checksum will slow down suspend and resume.
## Debugging option, default n
#compute checksum = y
#
## compression will often speed up suspend and resume (default y)
#compress = n
#
## encryption support is rather basic right now - e.g. USB keyboards
will not
## work to enter the key in the standard initrd, also beware of
## non-US keyboard layouts. Only use this if you know what you are doing.
#encrypt = y
#
## RSA key file that is used for encryption
#RSA key file = /etc/suspend.key
#
## start writing out the image early, before buffers are full.
## will most of the time speed up overall writing time (default y)
#early writeout = n
#
## use splash picture? (default y)
splash = n
#
## shutdown method:
## platform - go through ACPI BIOS to power off the machine (default on
## machines that support it)
## shutdown - just power off like after a shutdown
## reboot - reboot instead of powering off. For debugging only.
#shutdown method = platform
shutdown method = shutdown
#
## resume offset: for use with swapfiles, use "swap-offset" to find out.
#resume offset = 12345
#
## pause after resume for n seconds, so that the timing information can
## actually be read (default 0 => don't pause)
#resume pause = 2
#
## use threads for suspend? (default n)
## this hugely speeds up encryption and also compression on mulitcore
machines
threads = y

What I really would like to have is the Suspend option added into
power-management settings for Gnome 3.6.2, I think it is easy to add it
as it is present for KDE.

Cheers,

--
Marco Calistri (amdturion)
opensuse 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64 bit - Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop Gnome 3.6.2