Re: [opensuse] 12.3 (64bit) Hibernate problem
On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 17:46:34 -0700
John Andersen wrote:

On 7/30/2013 3:13 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Marco Calistri
<marco.calistri@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If I am alone I would begin to worry, but if I am "one of many"
then I hope devs. team will resolve the problem by next software
updates.

I have no issues with hibernate on my laptop.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer

I do. It sets the screen black, but flashing every second or two,
lights up the hard drive at the same interval (clearly not a write to
swap), and never actually shuts down.

The problem: My memory was increased AFTER I set up the partition for
swap, so I have more actual ram than I have swap space, and its just
not worth it for me to change that.

Suspend (sleep) works perfectly, which is what I do a lot. Its
faster than even hibernate, and the laptop will last days on its
battery in suspend mode.

Somewhere I read there was an option to hibernate to another disk
partition (not swap), but I haven't perused it.

I've been following this thread with interest since I'm a relative
hibernate/suspend 'newbie'.

Several weeks ago, I returned home and re-docked my laptop to the
desktop keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. Nearly two hours later, I'm
scratching my head after seeing the monitor's OSD indicate some setting
was just dropped without my initiative to 60%.

I start opening up and drilling through control center dialogues trying
to figure out what was happening and, then, suddenly, the entire desktop
froze and went black, a bright blue progress bar opened up and 'zipped'
like lightning across the monitor, left to right. Then the laptop shut
off.

It happened so fast that I really needed about a minute to regain my
bearings and deduce what must have happened. I checked beside my desk
and, sure enough, the AC charger/adapter was plugged into the laptop
but not into the outlet.

I plugged it in, waited for half an hour as the battery charged, then I
powered it on -- full of apprehension. The boot process was markedly
different and, after entering my password, my desktop reappeared with
everything exactly as it was before the system shut down.

This system has 4 GB RAM but only a 2 GB swap partition. Was this just
dumb luck?

Moreover, after reading here about the sensible approach being ... for
suspend to disk, at least ("hibernate") ... providing a swap partition
at least equal to the available RAM (converted into 1,024 x 1,024 x
1,024 GB, btw) I just re-sized my / and /home partitions and reinstalled
grub2 ... this all went painlessly, fortunately ... so I guess I'm
ready to test this "hibernate" thing again. I'll report back in a
little bit what happens.

regards,

Carl