Re: [opensuse] 12.3 (64bit) Hibernate problem
oOn Tuesday, July 30, 2013 04:46:44 PM Marco Calistri wrote:
Il 30/07/2013 12:21, Marco Vittorini Orgeas ha scritto:
On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:07:25 AM Marco Calistri wrote:
Il 30/07/2013 10:08, Greg Freemyer ha scritto:
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:19 AM, Carlos E. R.

<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Monday, 2013-07-29 at 15:09 -0300, Marco Calistri wrote:
Any comments/instructions on this problem?

Can you hibernate/suspend the machine from the menu?

Along those lines, do you swap space setup?

Lots of people say they no longer setup swap, but to hibernate you
have to be able to push all your ram to swap.

Greg

If I'm not wrong I should have 4G of swap but I can verify this.

It is required a minimum amount of swap or just "some swap" in order to
hibernate works?

Tks.

Cheers,

Generally the recommended amount is: available swap space = 2 * available
RAM space.
This because when off, all of your processes virtual memory space in use
must be copied somewhere in order to recover its state in a second stage.
Note it's recommended: nothing prevents you to have a virtual memory space
in use bigger than the recommended. But usually it's a very good
trade-off.
Hi Marco,

Yes I knew about this general rule for swap sizing, but I meant if are
there specific rules for swap sizing in order hibernate work without
problem.

Regards,

Well, that is also a very specific rule for the issue at hand.
You should trust it as it proven to be a very good one.
--
Marco