Re: [opensuse] Expand user's encrypted home image file
On Thursday, July 25, 2013 09:12:02 AM DenverD wrote:
On 07/24/2013 11:59 PM, Marco Vittorini Orgeas wrote:
On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:18:51 PM Carlos E. R. wrote:

Am I really the only one which encrypt its files using openSUSE approach?

sorry, i can't answer your initial question (never had or used
encrypted partitions)...but, for your question above: no.

Actually openSUSE encrypts home folders by using an image file.There are
*not* partitions involved.

and AFAICT some have also had to deal with insufficient space--here
are a few i found:

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-logi
n/481497-adding-physical-volumes-existing-luks-encrypted-lvm-expand-size.htm

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-logi
n/485347-almost-no-space-encrypted-partition.html

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-logi
n/472194-sketchy-lvm-encryption-seeking-documentation-pointers.html

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-logi
n/459788-lvm-running-out-space-after-clean-install.html

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-logi
n/478414-cant-resize-encrypted-home-directory.html

Again all the links, but the last one, deal with problems abput LVM and
encrypted partitions, which are not related to my issue.

and google can turn up others..what i didn't find was a clear how it
works or answers to all of your other questions...otoh i think Carlos
gave you _the_ correct answer: *Backup* and by that i'm sure he means
an OFF machine backup..

I've tried to found something related on the web, but didn't found anything
relevant.
Naturally I would proceed with a backup first approach.I would be interested
in the details of the "expansion" process, as I said if it will proceed with
a copy+delete, it wouldn't have the space required to do such a thing.
Anyway looking at the openSUSE forums reply rate, maybe I would have better
posted there to get "users" support ?

Thank you again.