Re: [opensuse] Dual boot OS12.3 and Vista
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 13:14:45 +0200
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Dylan wrote:
I need to set up a machine to dual boot OS12.3 and Windows Vista. I figure
the process will be as follows:

1 - Install OS12.3 (During the process, create a partition for Vista)
2 - Install Vista into the prepared partition
3 - Boot from the OS12.3 install media to re-install GRUB with Windows added

Are there any gotchas in the process I should be aware of?

Ouch.. Vista :-(

Anyway, you've got the steps backwards. If you need to install a dual
boot system with Windows and any Linux distro, always install Windows
first (if possible). Windows does NOT play well with other OSes - it
assumes that it's the only OS on the planet, and behaves that way
during install.

You install Windows first, and then Linux. openSUSE will nicely set
up GRUB for you when you install, including an entry for booting
Windows. This is the "least pain" route if you're setting up a system
with clean installs of Windows and Linux.

If you have to install any version of Windows after installing Linux,
you will have to "repair" the MBR... it's definitely possible, but
it's a pain.

C.
--
openSUSE 12.3 x86_64, KDE 4.10