Re: [opensuse] 64 bit vs 32 bit RAM consumption [summary]
В Wed, 24 Jul 2013 04:34:48 -0400
Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> пишет:

On 2013-07-24 09:57 (GMT+0200) Hans Witvliet composed:

If you have 4GB or more installed, just go for a 64-bit OS.

That's not what I get from this thread and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit_computing#32-bit_vs_64-bit shared by
Anton. What I get is strongly prefer 64 bit if _more than_ 4GB. If 2GB or 3GB
or 4GB, then use for video editing or other large file manipulation, or
serving, or selected other activity indicates preference for 64 bit, else, 32
bit should in most cases be the better choice.

There is memory range below 4G which is reserved for PCI address
mapping. Size can be quite significant - if you are using 32 bit system
you can lose as much as (or even over) 1G of your memory. So I'd say
- as long as you have over 2G of physical RAM having 64 but kernel makes
all sort of sense.

Having 64 bit user programs is more or less independent question. Here
x32 comes in play.