Re: [opensuse] 64 bit vs 32 bit RAM consumption
Carl Hartung said the following on 07/23/2013 08:41 AM:
I think the real key to this problem is the underlying purpose for the
machine, hence, the applications that are chosen to run on it. 3-D
modeling, hosting VMs, video editing, high end gaming ... I suspect
these are realms where 32-bit vs 64-bit vs available RAM becomes an
issue.

No disagreement.

Even in the last century, 3-d modelling was a big industry. SUN and SGI and others built a business on machines that were capable in this are, even if we leave out 'Hollywood'. A lot of large manufacturing (e.g. the auto industry) subcontracted out parts and those subcontractors did a lot of 'modelling'. I new many small firms, individuals even, with SUNs and Indys who were making a good living in the 80s and 90s lower on this food chain.