Re: [opensuse] Question, re hdd size for kernel 2.6.38
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [07-20-13 21:03]:
On Saturday, 2013-07-20 at 11:59 -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

Yes, ages/aged for a kernel but the box is from ~2005 and only used as a
mail/web server. And I am afraid of bricking the box updating the kernel
any more. Currently on openSUSE 11.2/Evergreen with a later kernel (pre
Evergreen) than offered/supported.

You might be surprised. I have a pentium 1 machine with 32 MB of ram and XX
gigabyte sized disks (I forget how many). It has SuSE 7.3. The limit is the
RAM.

When I bought that machine it came with an 80 MB disk. The BIOS does not
"support" the disks it has now, but... who cares about the BIOS? Not Linux,
certainly :-p

So, do try that machine with a modern live version, it might work.

I have already ordered the 2 TB and now must be satisfied :^). But space
is inexpensive atm and one never realizes what use a machine may be put to
in the future. The 2 TB is nearly 3 times the size of the failing drive
which has been satisfactory size wise for ~5 years and undoubtedly
contains much data which may be removed w/o causing distress.

I am somewhat of a pack-rat and need to put things into a more realistic
light. Should have seen me when I trashed hundreds of 3.5 in floppy
disks.

tks,