Re: [opensuse] Emacs in daemon mode
On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 14:09:06 -0400, Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@xxxxxxxx>
said:

Hi Charles,

Charles> Disclaimer: Personally I don't run Emacs in daemon mode. I run it
Charles> regularly in a X11 session with server enabled.

I had used it for a sometime, so I can learn and when crashed I can restart
easily,

>> However, should I take this warning seriously, This is Emacs from the
>> editors repo running on 12.3 with kernel 3.10.0-1.g3dcd746
>>
>> "GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.4) of
>> 2013-06-15 on build35"

Charles> Lots of people run Emacs compiled with gtk in daemon mode and I
Charles> have yet to hear of a crash in various Emacs related
Charles> mailinglists. You should be safe. However, YMMV.

I have checked the bug which has not been updated for sometime so was not
sure if still valid, and as you say I couldn't find much of an info in the
mailing list archives.

I have tried the emacs-X11 version but I can't get it to accept xft fonts
with entries like below in .Xresources file

Emacs.FontBackend: xft
Emacs*font: Consolas:pixelsixe=11

But nevertheless, so far gtk in daemon mode works and as you have once
said gnus rocks, though the learning curve is a bit steep.

Togan

--

o .o. o o_ o_ _o _o ,_o o_