Re: [opensuse] Hopefully, a non-biased question.....................
On 7/17/2013 1:17 PM, Billie Walsh wrote:
On 07/17/2013 02:39 PM, John Andersen wrote:
With Kubuntu,
1) You can click one option at install time and it goes and finds everything
you need for a complete
and competent multimedia system. No scary language.

2) You can start with the latest LTE release and expect it to be maintained
for at least 5 years.

I've found that new users to Linux are baffled by this need to essentially
do a major upgrade every
18 months (or what ever it is these days). After 5 years my Wife's Kubuntu
finally nagged her to
click that single button to upgrade to the next Long Term Release, and it
was painless.

3) Kubuntu configuration seems limited and locked down by comparison to
Yast, but on the other
hand new users don't need to do that much other than install packages of
interest.

With Kubuntu there are a few things that you have to do right off as soon
after install as you can.

1. Open a terminal and install Synaptic package handler. The KDE handler is
almost worse than useless.

2. Install Firefox. Konqueror is pretty much trashed and Rekonq is in about
the same state as the package handler.

3. Once Firefox is installed, and while the terminal is open, got Medibuntu
and add the repository. While your there you can copy/paste the
script to install all the basic multimedia stuff you'll need. I usually
cruise over to WineHQ and add their repository also. [ I have a few
old Windows programs that I use a lot and they work just fine under Wine. ]

4. Open Synaptic and add everything else you think you might want.
Thunderbird, games, whatever.

Agreed. (There are always some things I forget, but that goes for any distro).

To that list I might add the Google Chrome repository. (Also I think Firefox
is installed by default in Kubuntu these days).