Re: [opensuse] Question about the kernels for openSUSE
On 14/07/13 19:19, Werner Flamme wrote:
[14.07.2013 10:45] [Basil Chupin]:
But isn't the kernel, the main stay of Linux, supposed to be
"universal" and what someone adds to it is available to all?
"The kernel" as in "the one you can get from kernel.org": yes.

"The openSUSE kernel" may have special add-ons/features/config
parameters that are specific to openSUSE. So there is a difference
between the "vanilla" kernel (which is quite like the kernel.org one)
and the openSUSE kernel as in /Kernel:/stable/standard.

Just my 2¢
Werner

Thanks, Werner.

I would suspect that the config parameters would be the ones which would make the kernel openSUSE-specific otherwise the kernel would be more proprietary which is not what Linux is all about - I think :-) .

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3, KDE 4.10.5 & kernel 3.10.1-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor