[opensuse] Live USB question: OpenSuSE 12.3 on an Old Toshiba laptop
Hey there,
I just have a quick question. Well, actually two. My first thing is that I
have this older Toshiba Laptop with a dead hard drive and dead clock battery (I
want to replace both eventually) but I'm not sure about the rest of it's
internals. I'd like to use OpenSuSE 12.3 to test it out on a live USB. Will
this work with 512 MB of RAM (what is available on the machine, but not the
machine's limit) and a 2.0 ghz processor? (It might actually be 1.7, though
I'm not sure.) The computer was built in CA. 2005, so do you folks from your
experience think that I can use the latest OpenSuSE for this? (the laptop will
run Windows 7 for a comparative reference.) Thanks.
My next question is as follows. I couldn't get the SuSE studio image writer to
write the image, and upon realizing that all that it does is extract the ISO
file, I decided to go the manual route and extract it to the drive via 7Zip.
Is this enough to make the drive bootable? And then lastly, since I've never
used a live environment before, how can I set up the environment so that all it
does is boots and loads rather than tried to install on the hard drive? You
say on the site "suitable for installation". I'm not trying to install it on
the hard drive, I'm trying to run it from the USB drive to test out audio and
networking. Thanks. And also, does the gnome live environment come with Orca?
Thanks!