Re: [opensuse] Re: Android print solution?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 11:02:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Friday, 2013-07-12 at 20:06 -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* James Knott <> [07-12-13 18:18]:
Patrick Shanahan wrote:
If the printer is not available on the Internet, you can't print to it.
Sure you can, but the means are somewhat devious. I can print from
anywhere with google's "Cloud Print". There is also an HP app which works
with particular printers from outside your local network w/o baring yout
printer to the world. I str that both require setting up via google's
chromium browser.

Can you set up a CUPS printer and access it from elsewhere, if you didn't
configure it and your firewall to allow such access? No, I didn't think so.

You answer your own question w/o facts and incorrectly. Your problem.

Patrick, James is right.

Normal security policies discourage setting up a CUPS printer accross the internet, because amongst other things the password is passed in clear. CUPS is only a local print service,

David was asking, albeit a year and a half ago, about a method to print from an android tablet to a openSUSE server, locally, without using any external service for legal reasons, and Mr BlackSpruce solution is just that. Yep, I searched for David post once I knew it existed O:-)

I do not currently need to print directly from my Android phone, but I have saved this for future reference.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.