Re: [opensuse] Ideas on network prioritization?
Marc Chamberlin wrote:
Hi - I am running openSuSE12.3 on my gateway computer for my SOHO network. We have a number of hybrid cell phones around here that can connect either via our wireless network using VOIP to connect to other telephones or they can use the phone companies regular 3G network (but we are discouraged from doing so in order to keep costs down). We noticed that when using the WiFi connection, we often get a lot of dropouts and broken/lost connections, particularly when heavy network traffic such as backups are going on. My question is this, Is there any way to prioritize network traffic such that when a cell phone conversation is going on, that cell phone is given higher priority over all other network traffic?

I am using a DCHP server and could set it up to assign a specific IP address (I think) to each cell phone presuming they have a MAC address or a unique identifier, if that would help. I have started poking my nose into IPTables, but finding it difficult to understand or get a handle on whether there is a way to prioritize network traffic using it. And I am not sure I want to simply give a cell phone high priority as these are smart phones and I would prefer phone conversations have high priority, not cell phone apps. Appreciate any pointers/thoughts on this, thanks in advance and please keep in mind that I am not an expert on networking so try to keep your replies somewhat simple if you can... ;-)

Marc....

The normal way to do that is to have the switches give priority to voice traffic. There are a few ways they can do it, including filtering on protocol. By the time you get to your firewall, it's generally too late.