Re: [opensuse] shell script help
Hi Felix,

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 4:09 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Anyone know a good source of examples for dweebs who can't remember from one
scripting writing session to the next anything new learned to get a task
done, and requires examples rather than reading man pages to understand
anything unfamiliar?

I have a script containing among other things the following:

grep 'using VT' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
head -n7 /var/log/Xorg.0.log
grep Output /var/log/Xorg.0.log | egrep -v 'disconnected|no monitor'

This works fine as long as it's run on a default X session, but not
otherwise. I need to substitute for each "0" in the above strings the value
of the actual display in use, which happens to be the last of the two
visible characters of $DISPLAY. I tried to figure out if I could somehow
apply the cut command to $DISPLAY, but got nowhere via its man page. Is what
I want to do a for loop task? Can anyone here help with this seemingly
simple goal?

Try this one:

echo $DISPLAY | cut -d: -f2

Regards,