Re: [opensuse] Added INFO, SSD tuning; was: SSD and smartctl: Percentage ...
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 19:46:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Saturday, 2013-07-06 at 22:44 -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:

That is handled transparently by the wear-leveling algorithm. ie.
every time you write data to a SSD data block it picks from the
available EB (erase blocks) the one with the least number of writes.
I don't the process is perfect due to various design tradeoffs, but
that is the goal at least.

The other part of the story is the garbage collector which has the job
of going through the partially used EBs and consolidating them to free
EBs. When it does this the formally used EBs are erased and added to
the stack of available for writing EBs.

And where is that metadata stored, in flash, too? Fecause it will wear out faster, and I think that this part can not be remapped itself. It would have to be some other type of memory, cmos ram perhaps, which could be written on flash periodically or on power down. Just a wild guess.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.