Re: [opensuse] Added INFO, SSD tuning; was: SSD and smartctl: Percentage ...
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 20:25:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Saturday, 2013-07-06 at 11:05 -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

SSD drive contains home, /, /var and /srv, with Music, Downloads and
Documents linked to md0 to better utilize space requirements. SSD is
120 gb, md0 2 tb.

I read recently that flash media has the characteristic that each time you read a cell it has to be rewritten, and that the adjacent cells are affected; after severa cycles, the adjacent cells have to be rewritten as well (or something of the sort, I think I got the details wrong).

Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#Read_disturb

It is the wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt...

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.