Re: [opensuse] SSD and smartctl: Percentage Used Endurance Indicator: 34 ?

I don't claim to be any kind of expert and had to do some googling to see what this was about. It seems that flash based SSD's have a write limit somewhere in the range of 2,000 to 3,000 before failure. What that equates to in time I have no idea. Dram based SSD's don't have this limit. It also seems that a big bug-a-boo is the onboard controler.

I also came up with a lifertime for a mechanical hard drive. It appears that after about six years of use your on borrowed time. They seem to have a lifetimes of somewhere in the range 6 to 9 years. I'm sure that how you use your computer has a lot to do with the life of the hard drive. I'm probably amongst the hardest on them as I hardly ever turn off my computer [ Desktops ].

--

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not
sure about the former.”

"A great moral force is a bayonet on a gun and a web-belt full of cartridges."
-Colonel John S. Poland, U. S. Army - 1894

"In all border lands a certain class of men have to be killed to insure the welfare
and safety of the peaceably inclined."
- Judge William L. Kuykendall - 1917