Re: [opensuse] SSD and smartctl: Percentage Used Endurance Indicator: 34 ?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 14:00:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Saturday, 2013-07-06 at 12:48 +0200, MarkusGMX wrote:

How accurate is this?

I guess that pretty accurate.

Does that mean, that 34% of the SSDs lifetime is already over?

Yep, I think so.

I do have /var with leafnode/usenet (lot of small files written) on that SSD but what I read on the net this shouldn't be a problem and approx. 2 years
is not that much of lifetime. If that all is correct it would mean, that after another 4 years I have to exchange the SSD.

Yep.

~6 years is that the normal lifespan of SSDs nowadays?

It is not based in time of use, but in actual usage. Flash media, including SSD, have a limited number of write operation allowed. After that, they are no longer usable.

You can increase the odds. Be sure to mount "noatime", for instance.

Are there other tests for Linux which tell me more about the health of this SSD?

This is not really a test; it is the disk itself who is telling you that parameter about itself.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.