Re: [opensuse] IPv6 - do you use SLAAC or DHCP ?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 14:36:00 +0200
James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
I have to say, I don't really see the point of using a random address
on our own network.

The idea is so you can "surf the web" without having an address that
can be traced to a specific piece of hardware.

Still doesn't make any sense on my own network - in particular not when
it's not for web-access. Email, ssh, vpn, snmp, rsync - as an admin, I
would want to know the identity of a client, just like I do today.

Granted, if you're the only one using your network, it won't make much
difference.

Well, not just me personally, but desktops and servers on my local
corporate network. I mean, why should somebody's telephone use a
random address when connecting to the Asterisk server?

However, if you take your notebook computer somewhere else and want to
be anonymous, then it might be useful.

Yes, that is a reasonable use case.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.2°C)