Re: [opensuse] IPv6 - do you use SLAAC or DHCP ?
Per Jessen wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:

James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
but the only truly dynamic
devices I have are phones and pads etc.
Even my Android smart phone and tablet use both SLAAC & random
addresses.
Yes, I figure that's what I'll be doing as well.

Hmmm, I guess running both SLAAC and DHCP isn't that easy. Once I
started the RA daemon on the main router/firewall, every box on the
network got a global IPv6 address. I guess I have to configure them
individually to use DHCP. In fact, I don't want any automatic IPv6
assignment for existing boxes - this would mean IPv6 traffic where none
existed before, I can think of scripts and apps that may very well
choke on that.

Why are you bothering with DHCP6? It's really not needed, unless you
want to provide IPv6 server addresses to clients. As I mentioned, it's
easy enough to add IPv6 addresses to DNS or hosts file, so you don't
have to worry about typing in an IPv6 address. On my network, I use the
SLAAP addresses as mention. I use manual configuration for anything
that's permanently attached to my network, for things like NTP & DNS
server. Other devices, such as my smart phone, tablet and notebook
computer use DHCP to get the IPv4 address for those servers. Everything
just works well and uses IPv6 whenever possible. It sounds like you're
making work for yourself, when you don't have to.