Re: [opensuse] Is this a Firefox bug?
Carl Hartung said the following on 06/29/2013 08:58 AM:

I like Felix's answer, too, but in my 27 years experience with this
crazy stuff any virtually instantaneous 'dead lock' like you've just
described is almost certainly happening at the hardware, firmware,
kernel, modules/drivers level. The pointer freeze coincident with the
'hashed' screen, in my mind, almost nails it down to the graphics
hardware, the driver module and/or the configuration (a lot less
likely.)

I'm inclined to agree.
Applications live in user space and if they crash they crash in user space. To kill the system this thoroughly something has to happen in kernel space, and that would most likely be a driver.

I had an 'empty' xorg.conf and the autoconfig listed in the log probing for 8 itens including the frame buffer :-) It saw this was a nvidia and include both drivers.

If possible, I'd roll nouveau back to the last known 'reliably
working' (in that system) release or temporarily install the proprietary
counterpart, just to see if the problem 'evaporates.' In parallel, I'd
be pursuing diagnostic / stress testing of the graphics adapter and
it's memory as well as the mainboard and it's memory.

I'm not sure about 'rollback' without rolling back all of xorg.

I did try putting 'nv' in 50-device but that errored saying

[ 39.635] (EE) NV: The PCI device 0x10de03d1 (GeForce 6100 nForce 405) at 00@00:13:0 has a kernel module claiming it.
[ 39.635] (EE) NV: This driver cannot operate until it has been unloaded.

I ran lsmod and the nouveau driver was there dealing with various other things. I'm not sure how. Nothing in /etc except this

::::::::::::::
modprobe.d/50-nvidia.conf
::::::::::::::
options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=33 NVreg_DeviceFileMode=0660

So I'm trying "nouveau" in the xorg.conf.d/50-device

Are you monitoring CPU, GPU and other critical system temperatures?
Could be an invisible correlation there -- it's summer where I am. Is
the system on protected / conditioned power? Any electrical storms
recently? :-)

I have other machines here; this is the only one doing this; this is the only one with a nvidia.

I've had thermal shutdown on other machines and it says so at the time and appears in the logs. This isn't thermal shutdown.

--
How long did the whining go on when KDE2 went on KDE3?

The only universal constant is change. If a species can not adapt it
goes extinct. That's the law of the universe, adapt or die.
-- Billie Walsh, May 18 2013