Re: [opensuse] How should one make /media a tmpfs under 12.3?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 05:23:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Friday, 2013-06-28 at 15:20 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
Carlos E. R. said the following on 06/28/2013 02:38 PM:

I don't understand this. Symlink /media to dev/null?

RTFM
Symlink the appropiate /etc/tmp*.d/<whatver> or the /usr/lib equivalent to /dev/null like it says in thee man page:

<quote>
If the administrator wants to disable a configuration file supplied by the vendor the recommended way is to place a symlink to /dev/null in /etc/tmpfiles.d/ bearing the same file name.
</quote>

RTFM!

Ok, but I do not want to disable any of those files, AFAIK.

And RTFM only applies if you know what to look for already. You have probably read all those manuals and remember them and know the relations from one to the other, and probably much more than those manuals say. If I read some of the manuals (I did) they tell me very little.

to find some examples. But you see, there is no entry there for "/run" or
"/var/run", so I took the example from a wrong entry.

I have
$ ls -l /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/tmp.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 564 Jun 13 05:50 /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/tmp.conf

and it reads

So THAT is responsible for creating and cleaning /tmp

Yes, I know, I have seen that file previously, I'm aware of it. I may not remember all the time, though.

Right?

IIRC my (presently off line) RH system is like that.

The -bind is the old, old way of doing it
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=16450
but you can do that with a .mount as I referenced and make it 'systemd clean'.

However I'd start from systemd :-)
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1199924#p1199924

More discussion at
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1176170

Isn't google wonderful?

Thanks, I'll have a look at those.

Google is wonderful if you are lucky or you have a good idea what to look for.

But don't forget this thread
http://opensuse.14.x6.nabble.com/On-cleaning-tmp-systemd-private-td4990626i20.html

Ok, that one too. I have the four opened for reading later.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.