Re: [opensuse] How Much Swap?
On 06/26/2013 10:04 AM, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 26/06/13 10:12, Lew Wolfgang escribió:
Hi Folks,

Back in the '80s we configured swap space to be 1.5 x RAM
as a rule of thumb. But I'm configuring 6 boxes now that
contain 64-GB of RAM and I'm wondering if swap should be
anything close to 96-GB. The boxes have only 128-GB of
SSD for the operating system, so I'd like to minimize swap
as much as possible.

Unless the 64 GB RAM boxes are really, really busy I do not think you need swap.

We've "tuned" the four Gig-E interfaces to input 950-Mbits/sec
continuously. The boxes don't have to do very much except hand the thousands
of 4-GB files off to the RAID controller. So throughput will be close to
500-MB/sec.
I've measured a continuous record rate of 1.6-GB/sec to the RAID, so we
shouldn't have any issues. Hibernation won't ever happen. I think I'll try
it with 4-GB of swap and see what happens. Even if we had 64-GB of swap,
considering our requirements, any serious swap usage would kill us anyway.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Lew