Re: [opensuse] How Much Swap?
Typically we just give 2GB and let it be; I've heard extensive discussions in
other Novell listservs that vary anywhere between that number all the way down
to sometimes not allocating any swap at all. But we go the 2GB route just to be
safe, irregardless of how much memory a box has.

A big exception would be SuSE servers that host Oracle databases however; those
still have the huge swap requirements.

Chris

Lew Wolfgang 06/26/13 9:14 AM >>>
Hi Folks,

Back in the '80s we configured swap space to be 1.5 x RAM
as a rule of thumb. But I'm configuring 6 boxes now that
contain 64-GB of RAM and I'm wondering if swap should be
anything close to 96-GB. The boxes have only 128-GB of
SSD for the operating system, so I'd like to minimize swap
as much as possible.

As background, these devices will be used as dedicated
data acquisition devices. They will pump data from
four Gig-E Ethernet ports and store it all in a 24-disk
RAID-6 array. Preliminary measurements show we should
be able to maintain continuous throughput until the RAID
is full.

So, any opinions on swap size in relation to RAM?

Thanks,
Lew