Re: [opensuse] Segmentation fault (SOLVED)
  • From: "C. Brouerius van Nidek" <constant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 21:08:44 +0700
On Monday, June 24, 2013 11:14:37 AM you wrote:
On 06/24/2013 09:56 AM, C. Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
All my live cd's seem to have gone bad.

that might indicate you have a DVD/CD reader writer which is going
bad...they DO wear out. if in a smokey or dusty environment it might
be helpful to use a commercially available cleaning disk, using the
wetting solution provided with the disk.

As a vivid cigar smoker I know the effects of a smokey environment :) , just
did that but no success. Perhaps some cheapo cd's.

The only dvd and cd that
boot are a net 12.3 cd and the 12.3 dvd. Booth have the memtest86=
VERSION 4.20 which I used.

those are GOOD to use.

remove the RAM sticks (how many do you have?)

Asrock motherboard with two memory slots and two sticks, 512 and
10xx M

that does not sound good to me, and it _may_ be your problem.. i've
not had a Asrock motherboard in a while but when i did it required
_matched_ RAM sticks, that is TWO 512s, or TWO 1 Gigs, etc..

The manual expressively informs the user that if you want to use dual channel
memory technology, two identical sticks (same brand, speed, size and chip-
type) should be used. Otherwise the computer will operate at single channel
mode.

Used the pencil eraser and cleaned the bar ram. Reinstalled and
ran the memtest again. Result, bad ram beginning at 1024 up to
above 1080. No time today to wait for the end address :(.

so, what happens if you run just ONE of the sticks?
and, then run the other, alone?

Qualification is problematic where I live. Could try to exchange
the bad stick at the seller

have you identified "the bad stick"?

it may not be 'bad' but rather just 'wrong' not every stick which
will fit in the slot can be used--you must read the owner manual to
know precisely which sticks of which sizes and speeds will work
correctly with your motherboard.....and, as mentioned above, you
might have two perfectly good sticks if used alone, but which will
not work together!

I have in the mean time run memtest in slot 1 and 2 with the 3 chips I have
and they turn out to be all okay. If I put the 1M chip in slot 1, add the 500K
in slot 2 the memtest stops and hangs at test 5. It seems these 2 chips do not
cooperate very well. Now put a 250K in slot 2 and memtest sees no problems
whatsoever. Will run memtest the night over and see if something new pops up.
Segfaults have gone and the system seems to work for now.

Thanks for the help,

Constant

--
Linux User 183145 using KDE4 and LXDE on a Pentium IV ,