[opensuse] intel HD Graphics 4600 and such
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:42:01 +0200
We are putting together some new systems that should run openSUSE 12.1
and newer. (EOL on 12.1 I know...) Typically we have used Nvidia
graphics cards. ATI are not popular here. Many of the systems we are
considering use intel CPUs that include graphics hardware. Such as intel
HD Graphics 4600 (on the intel Core i7 4770).

So we thought we should investigate the status of this hardware. I
started with http://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Video but that is very much out
of date. Perhaps there is a better place with this information?

We are not doing games. But we do use X's shared memory interface to
show images as fast as possible. KDE does have it's bits that benefit
from 3D hardware.

Is anyone using intel graphics like this? Any stories / experiences /
cautions to share?

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST / Systems