Re: [opensuse] ssytemd and openSUSE
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 10:00:52 +0200
Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Andrey, this discussion belongs here.
Just stick with unified naming space that dies not conflict with
kernel one, as was already done for other devices. udev no more
supports renaming of sda to sdb. Why it should support renaming of
eth0 to eth1?

It does now. Why throw it away?

We are going in circles. It is thrown away because this renaming had
problems that were considered as not solvable by maintainers of udev.
If maintainers are wrong, you have to show it. If maintainers are
correct, you request to maintain indefinitely known broken approach.

I don't think you understand my point. The new naming scheme will
introduce far more and far greater problems than what the current
scheme currently does. I am only proposing we give the user (for whom
we are doing all this work, right?) the _choice_ of keeping "maybe some
minor issues" vs. introducing "lots of big issues and effort".

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (24.8°C)