Re: [opensuse] ssytemd and openSUSE
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 08:40:25 +0200
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Wed, 2013-06-19 at 08:13 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Wednesday, 2013-06-19 at 00:23 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:

At that level does it really matter what the nomenclature is?
"ethX" is nice but the alternative aren't show stoppers.

If it doesn't matter, why not let the names be what they were, why
change? What's the rationale for changing the names, do we need
that?

There is roughly zero rationale, but rest assured Carlos, you DO need
it. Don't your network interfaces change their names all the time?

I welcome the new names. We use ethernet cards to capture data from
various measurement transducers (cameras, lasers, distance/time
gauges, etc). If a card breaks (and they do),

Your cards are in a rough(er) environment I guess - I don't recall when
I last had to replace a broken network card. The majority of my
network interfaces are probably embedded anyway. In my experience,
fans, disks, power-supplies and optical drives break and batteries need
replacing from time to to time.

replacing it is a pita because the original ethX names are replaced by
then next unused ones. Unless you fiddle around in YaST.

Or simply amend '/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-network-names.conf'
with the new MAC address.

If the name could be based on the slot the card is in, then swapping
out a card would be much easier.

That's what you'll be getting in 13.1. Careful that you put the new card
in the same slot, otherwise you'll get a new name.

I need to check how multi-port cards are named based on the slot the
card is in...

I think they're given names with 'fN' appended. The names I keep
referring to:

enp13s0, enp14s0 - embedded interfaces.
enp3s1f0, enp3s1f1 - dual-port NIC.
enp6s2 - single fibre interface.