Re: [opensuse] ssytemd and openSUSE
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 08:23:29 +0200
On Wed, 2013-06-19 at 08:13 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Wednesday, 2013-06-19 at 00:23 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:

At that level does it really matter what the nomenclature is?
"ethX" is nice but the alternative aren't show stoppers.

If it doesn't matter, why not let the names be what they were, why
change? What's the rationale for changing the names, do we need that?

There is roughly zero rationale, but rest assured Carlos, you DO need
it. Don't your network interfaces change their names all the time?

I welcome the new names. We use ethernet cards to capture data from
various measurement transducers (cameras, lasers, distance/time gauges,
etc). If a card breaks (and they do), replacing it is a pita because the
original ethX names are replaced by then next unused ones. Unless you
fiddle around in YaST. If the name could be based on the slot the card
is in, then swapping out a card would be much easier.

I need to check how multi-port cards are named based on the slot the
card is in...

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST / Systems