Re: [opensuse] ssytemd and openSUSE
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 08:09:36 +0200
Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

В Tue, 18 Jun 2013 21:55:15 +0200
Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> пишет:

Anton Aylward wrote:

We've been though this before , such as when we made /dev/
'dynamically
generated'. It didn't fit everyone's needs right away. (I'm not
sure it does even now.)

Right now all I see in in
rules.d/77-network.rules
which uses ifup/ifdown and
rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
which maps an Ethernet address to eth0

YMMV - it probably does :-)

Don't hold your breath, in 13.1 we're headed toward
socalled "PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames", such as enp13s0,
enp14s0, enp3s1f0, enp3s1f1, enp6s2 ...

It will be a bit more complicated than that ... those predictable
interface names are defined for PCI attached devices only. There is
nothing for other classes of devices.

Yes, I know - I'm dreading it. On a xen domu, the devices will be eth0,
eth1. On the dom0, I will have enp13s0, enp14s0, enp3s1f0, enp3s1f1,
enp6s2 plus perhaps vif0, vif1, vif2. I have some boxes with vlan
interfaces named 'vlanX@ethY' - they'll be very pretty if I were to use
the new naming scheme. My ip-ip tunnels will presumably remain as
ipip0, ipip1 and my vpn interface will still be tun0. Brilliant scheme.

So at one side we do not have old method to shuffle the names around
anymore, on the other hand we also do not have any persistent names
generated automatically.

You still can rename them, of course, just make sure it will not clash
with kernel auto-generated names.

That is functionality I suggest we retain - if nothing else, to
maintain some of the former user-friendliness of openSUSE.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (23.5°C)