Re: [opensuse] ssytemd and openSUSE
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:12:03 +0200
John Andersen wrote:

On 6/17/2013 1:49 PM, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
On 06/17/2013 11:57 AM, Istvan Gabor pecked at the keyboard and
wrote:
Hello:

I see there are plenty of messages on this list related to systemd,
and systemd related issues. For me this fact indicates that systemd
is not matured and stable enough to be included in a RELEASE as
default and standard.

To include a question too, I thought that post 12.1 openSUSE
versions come with systemd and do not offer sysvinit as an
alternative. Still I read here that some users are using or trying
to use sysvinit on openSUSE 12.3. So, do openSUSE 12.2 and 12.3
offer sysvinit package(s) similarly to 12.1 which can be exchanged
for systemd?

12.2 is the last version to offer sysvinit (it's what I'm using).
12.3 and newer will only have systemd.

Really?

Seems to be quite a few sysvinit packages in
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/12.3/repo/oss/suse/i586/
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/12.3/repo/oss/suse/x86_64/

Yes, the packages are still present, but I believe other bits have been
removed or have stopped working. I have not tried sysvinit on 12.3
myself, but I think somebody else reported problems only just
yesterday.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (23.4°C)