Re: [opensuse] RE: Stability of systemd
Bruce Ferrell said the following on 06/17/2013 11:56 AM:
On 06/17/2013 07:53 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
Per Jessen said the following on 06/17/2013 10:45 AM:
Anton Aylward wrote:

Per Jessen said the following on 06/17/2013 08:24 AM:

No, not blades - for instance an HP DL585 with quad opterons, each
with 16 cores.

Ah. Intel architecture.

Ignoring the PowerPC (which also powers z/OS) and maybe Itanium, what
else is there (for large machines) today? HP-PA is long dead. I guess
Sparc is still about, but does Sun/Oracle even build E10Ks or E25Ks any
more? Unisys presumably still build the ES7000-line, but that's also
Intel architecture.

"Monoculture".

Perhaps we need a single chip 48-core Raspberry Pi with 1T of memory :-)
The fabled "Hot fuzzy golfball"

Does this fill the bill?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone/posts/321781

A very strange machine

http://www.adapteva.com/introduction/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adapteva
<quote>
The Epiphany architecture consists of up to 4,096 RISC microprocessors, all sharing a single flat memory space.
</quote>
That kind of MIMD requires a very different and very disciplined style of programming. Its not like the Linux SMNP multi-programming model where the scheduler can just assign any CPU. This is really a massively parallel coprocessor, the kind of thing that's needed for huge computational problems like modelling the solar system, a nuclear explosion, or a super-condensate. We used to call that approach 'array processors'.

But at $99 or even $199 the boards are so attractive for experimenters.
Not just the heavy projects, VR, calculating where Google's balloons should go
http://www.zdnet.com/googles-project-loon-uses-big-networked-air-balloons-to-fill-internet-black-holes-7000016887/
but also coming up with a plugin for gimp to do photo editing...

Or perhaps a Wayland based VDI multi-seat for 1,000 Linux users. All for $199. EAT THAT VMWARE!

Or perhaps not.
It depends if this really sees scaled up production.

This
http://www.parallella.org/2013/05/11/the-parallella-board-now-runs-ubuntu/
is recent, but I wonder ...
Maybe we'll see DES cracking in 30 seconds or less. The on to AES.

--
How long did the whining go on when KDE2 went on KDE3?

The only universal constant is change. If a species can not adapt it
goes extinct. That's the law of the universe, adapt or die.
-- Billie Walsh, May 18 2013