Re: [opensuse] Systemd says: systemd-modules-load.service failed
On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Monday, 2013-06-17 at 12:08 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

What I don't know is where is the logic to decide that parts
of /usr (a separate partition) is copied to initrd.

mkinitrd and the scripts in /lib/mkinitrd/

I ask because I wonder what happens if one decides, after
installation, to move /usr to a separate partition, one simply has to
make initrd again, or some setting has to be toggled.

I don't know, but hasn't this been discussed quite a bit? I don't do it
myself, but I thought there was some sort of (new?) issue in
keeping /usr on a separate partition.

There is an issue of keeping /usr on it's own partition and NOT using
initrd. As of a release or two ago, this is difficult to do because
there are libs and exe's on /usr that are used during boot. The
opensuse solution is to mount /usr prior to full boot inside the
initrd logic.

People who don't want initrd have no decent way to solve the problem
based on opensuse devs moving more and more libs/exe's from / to /usr.
I don't think this is a systemd created problem, but at least for
opensuse, the introduction of initrd mounting /usr prior to boot was
needed to better allow systemd to control the full boot cycle.

Then, once the decision was made to do that, it seems lots of exe's
were moved from /sbin to /usr/sbin for no reason I could understand.

Greg