Re: [opensuse] RE: Stability of systemd
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 16:30:19 +0200
Bruce Ferrell wrote:

On 06/17/2013 05:13 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Bruce Ferrell wrote:

On 06/16/2013 11:36 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Bruce Ferrell wrote:

Umm, that's a bit strong - Frederic Crozat and others have spent a
lot of time debugging or helping with systemd reports.

Getting more diagnostics from systemd:

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Systemd#Getting_debug_from_systemd

For instance: add "systemd.log_target=kmsg systemd.log_level=debug"
to your boot parameters.

For the bugreport, start by explaining how it is erratic. Just pick
one example.

Per,

Thank you. That is useful information and I'll attempt your
suggestion, althought I didn't notice that on a quick scan of the
article you referenced.

I forgot to mention - also remove 'quiet' from the boot options. Adding
those systemd debugging options is typically what you would be asked
for anyway.

Consider this if you think my statement strong, for those thinking of
trying the sysvinit... It's broken. It needs things that are missing,
like /etc/inittab, /etc/init.d/boot (if you use the one that appearsed
on my system as an rpmnew file) and /etc/rc. Again demonstrating a
lack of pride in work on the part of whomever packaged sysvinit.
Although the missing components show as belonging to aaa_base.

sysvinit was (at least somewhat) intentionally broken, I'm afraid.
I'm not sure, but I think 12.2 was the last release where sysvinit and
systemd were "plug-compatible".

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (33.1°C)