Re: [opensuse] RE: Stability of systemd
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 14:24:35 +0200
Anton Aylward wrote:

Per Jessen said the following on 06/17/2013 02:50 AM:
Where have you been for the last 10 years?:-) 10+ years ago I ran a
program for a <large US software firm>, promoting Linux on 390. I
wrote sufficient floating-point support in Hercules to run Java on
Linux/390 on Hercules.
I honestly don't know the state of things today, I've been away from
that field for too long, but IBM made that move to Linux long ago.

About 10 years ago was when I stopped replacing those big boxes in
raised floor settings with Linux boxes and moved on to other things.
It got rather tedious and repetitive.

Yes I'm aware of the Linux-on-a-mainframe, I just haven't worked with
it.

That 48 core HP box you mentioned - that's blades rather than one
single multi-core cpu, I presume?

No, not blades - for instance an HP DL585 with quad opterons, each with
16 cores.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (29.8°C)