Re: [opensuse] RE: Stability of systemd
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 14:13:02 +0200
Bruce Ferrell wrote:

On 06/16/2013 11:36 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Bruce Ferrell wrote:

On 06/16/2013 07:23 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
[big snip]

How come it works so easily for me?
Because I'm willing to adapt and learn and find out they WHY when
things don' go the way I expect. All to often the 'don't go the
way I expect' say more about my expectations than any flaw in the
code.

How come it doesn't work for me on a clean install?

Bruce, if that is the case, please open a bug report. A clean
install is obviously _not_ a corner case, it simply has to work.

And what exactly do I put in the bug report?

Problem:
System boot/shutdown is erratic

How to reproduce:
Beats hell out of me... The system does what it wants to. No
debugging possible due to systemd. No messages displayed or known to
be logged.

We all know that isn't a good bug report and in my day job I'd reject
it out of hand. Actually, I'm not allowed to do that. I'd have to
spend copious amounts of time finding out what the problem is... Not
the mindset here.

Umm, that's a bit strong - Frederic Crozat and others have spent a lot
of time debugging or helping with systemd reports.

Getting more diagnostics from systemd:

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Systemd#Getting_debug_from_systemd

For instance: add "systemd.log_target=kmsg systemd.log_level=debug" to
your boot parameters.

For the bugreport, start by explaining how it is erratic. Just pick one
example.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (28.8°C)