Re: [opensuse] RE: lack of flexibility of systemd
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 08:23:35 +0200
Linda Walsh wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
At this point, I would say stick with systemd. It _does_ still have
minor teething problems, but they are really mostly corner-cases.
Occasionally migration incompatibilities appear where systemd no
longer supports what one was used to in sysvinit (see for instance
Carlos' spamd issue re inline comments).
----
If you have really primitive startup scripts ... then systemd
seems useful, but for scripts that actually took advantage of
scripting to build in flexibility it seems a rather large step
backwards.

Systemd would choke on my transmission startup script.

A corner case? Most init scripts are in fact really primitive. I have a
number of my own initscripts, but all they do is start a daemon.
Anyway, I wasn't arguing systemd's usefulness, I was only responding
to the OP's question of whether to go with systemd or try to stick to
sysvinit.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (20.9°C)