Re: [opensuse] RE: Stability of systemd
On 06/15/2013 11:07 PM, John Andersen wrote:
On 6/15/2013 8:45 PM, Duaine Hechler wrote:
On 06/15/2013 10:39 PM, Cristian Rodr�guez wrote:
On 06/15/2013 11:28 PM, Duaine Hechler wrote:
Is systemd more reliable and stable in 12.3, than in 12.1 and 12.2 ?

Or is keeping with sysvinit the better way to stay ?
What are you looking for specifically ? can't answer vague questions..
"stability" means different things depending on the context.

Of course systemd has bugs like any other software, however most problems in
older version are derived from issues in the openSUSE
implementation and packages totally unrelated with it
Since I can't point to anything specific at the point, I'm thinking more in
general. I remember with the older 2 versions, it was - highly -
recommended to disable systemd and use sysvinit. So, is there a recommendation
(then) ?

Well it seems that Systemd works for me, but I find my self at a loss trying to
maintain things
I use to know how to deal with. There is a learning curve that I have not yet
climbed.
For Joe user its probably useable if not still has some of maddening bugs, but
that is the purpose
of opensuse, (finding bugs).
For corporate use, or complex use cases, I might still prefer Sysvinit.
Sysvinit may not scale well to really huge machines, but that's a problem I
will never have to worry about.

(I skipped all of 12.x until 12.3 came out). So on my machine I started with
SystemD from the novice
prospective. So far no major problems.

Thank you for your answer. At least for now, I'll stick with Sysvinit.

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ - Tuning, Servicing & Rebuilding