[opensuse] Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Question about findutils-locate
Linda Walsh wrote:
Ie, if I'm plain user john:users, I should have permissions to use
locate on my "/home/john" directory, but not those of /root, and maybe
yes, maybe not, those of "/home/ian", depending on group permissions.
---
I would say it should let you see the same files you can see
with 'ls'.

If I am not root, and ls /root, I can see nothing.

OTOH, Just because I can't write to files in /usr/bin or whatever,
doesn't
mean I wouldn't want them to show up in a locate. Even if the files
are unreadable -- if they are in a directory that is readable,
then their names should appear on locate.

IIRC, locate simply searches a file created by updatedb. Since updatedb
runs as root, it should contain all files. Since locate can be run by
anyone, anyone can see all the files. To do anything else would require
updatedb to save the permissions and locate to honour them.