Re: [opensuse] Do I have a rpm database corruption (OpenSUSE 12.3) (noobish)
On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 02:59:43AM +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2013-06-14 02:04, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 13/06/13 19:34, h escribió:

I am guessing that part of my rpm database has become corrupt.
Can I reconstruct the database, or a part of it?

Yes, your rpm database is corrupted.. issue rpm --rebuilddb

WARNING, WARNING big WARNING: in some cases, that does not work, if that
happends, you are screwed.

Not yet! There is a cron that makes a backup copy, rotating every week.
They are in "/var/adm/backup/rpmdb". Just copy the last one over and try
rebuild. If it fails, try one day earlier, repeat until works or not -
then you are screwed :-)

And afterwards you might be screwed even further. Why? Think you
installed fresh packages or updates in between.

a) fresh/ new packages got added

The binaries are still around but you never will get an update as the
rpm database doesn't know about.

b) packages got updated

In this case you'll get the already applied update again. This very
likely will not harm.

But /var/log/zypp/history might be of help. In combination with the
timestamp of the file from /var/adm/backup/rpmdb

Cheers,

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]