Re: [opensuse] Re: XFS and openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:09:40 +0200
On 2013-06-13 12:59, Dave Howorth wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
By the way, try not to use "fsync". It forces the kernel to write to
disk even if not convenient.
I think this is misguided advice. It is very important to use use fsync
to ensure that the data makes it onto the disk in order to ensure data
or whole files don't disappear.

Yes, of course the data must be written. But if we force the kernel to
write it now, we reduce overall performance. Just my opinion, but you
can make a run and compare.

Right but performance matters for nothing if the results are incorrect!

Please read up about fsync before encouraging people not to use it.
There are lots of links in this thread and in the XFS list discussion.

But it seems all those discussions are about what happens if the system
fails. For some uses I can see that this is a valid concern. I do not
think it is a problem for me. If the system should happen to fail,
loosing the last X minutes of data is the smaller hassle. Repositioning
yourself on the road to start again and all the attendant details are
more the problem.

I am happy to say that system failure in a vehicle has been virtually
non-existent. And it is a demanding environment. Of course, we have
spent a bit of time getting the power clean and steady.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST / Systems

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20