Re: [opensuse] Re: XFS and openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 08:42:59 +0200
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Wed, 2013-06-12 at 18:51 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer said the following on 06/12/2013 10:00 AM:
Of course the cache doesn't go away when he uses sync!
Why should it? Its a cache not a buffer.
Instead, it grows and grows...

As others have said, the cache will grow to use all available memory

That is a GOOD THING for a cache to to.

Even when that messes up running app requests for memory? It has been
said that if memory is needed by some app, this cache may get smaller
to accommodate. I am not sure that is the case. When memory use gets
big, some apps die.

Roger, if that were true, we'd all be in big trouble. The use of spare
memory for file systems cache is purely opportunistic - if an app needs
memory, it will get it. Provided there is free memory, of course -
but "free memory" includes memory used for cacheing.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.9°C)