Re: [opensuse] Re: XFS and openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 08:10:28 +0200
On Wed, 2013-06-12 at 20:24 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Wed, 2013-06-12 at 14:06 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

If you let your test app run, and the file it creates grow and
grow, how does the cache usage progress?

It stayed at about 1G.

Here is my test app, which tyies to capture the spirit of what the
real app is doing. It demonstrates the cache growing issue on both
12.1 and 12.3.

That is not the real issue though - the file system cache will grow to
max available on any system, without causing a problem. I think your
problem is described in the link that Andrey Borzenkov sent. Your app
needs a sustained, high IO-rate, and that is not quite what the
standard Linux settings are set for.

Apparently. The surprising thing is that the app has many other files
open as well. None are as big as these. But they are not so small
either. There is some trigger point that seems to make this happen.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST / Systems

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20