Re: [opensuse] Re: XFS and openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 08:02:18 +0200
On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 06:24 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Linda idea of using "posix_fadvise" and opening the file for write
only seems to me a very good one. But she also said "the calls are
advisory".

posix_fadvise(POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED) seems not to be advisory. It clears
info for the specified file from the cache when it is called. So it
needs to do this regularly. Which is no problem. I just need to figure
out the 'start' and 'stop' parameters.

This call is finding it's way into apps like tar and rsync that. like my
app, may deal with big files/data and need not pollute the read cache
since once written they are no longer needed by the app.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST / Systems

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20